The bottom of the former railway incline from beck Hole up to Goathland. It was constructed by the Whitby and Pickering Railway in 1836 and was originally a horse drawn railway. The carriages were hauled up and down the hill using a system of water tanks. Later in 1865 a new route was constructed which made the incline redundant but a few weeks before the new line was commissioned the cable on the incline broke, the carriage rolled down the hill resulting in two fatalities.
The incline is now part of a pleasant walk connecting Grosmont and Goathland which a return journey can be made using the North York Moors preserved railway.
The cottages were originally a pair and designed by the resident architect of the York and North Midland Railway Company. The building dates from about 1845.