Bransdale is a peaceful community consisting of dispersed farmsteads that has remained seemingly unaltered throughout history. At one time, Eastside and Westside were two separate townships, each belonging to different parishes. Nonetheless, they were combined in 1873 to establish Bransdale-cum-Farndale.
Bransdale differs from typical communities in that it lacks a central village. However, Cockayne, a hamlet located at the head of the dale, is often recognised as the settlement centre, likely because it is home to St. Nicholas’s church. The church was established in 1800 as a chapel of ease for the Kirkby Moorside parish.
But the rest of Cockayne comprises only a few buildings, including Bransdale Lodge, a farm, and a cottage that is currently offered as a holiday let. Bransdale Lodge, which was constructed in the mid-19th century, was utilised by the Earl of Feversham as a shooting lodge.