“Sweet vale of Leven!
how calm is thy stream,
Gliding onwards in beauty
like hour’s youngest dream.”
Attributed to John Walker Ord by J. Fairfax-Blakeborough in Great Ayton, Stokesley & District, past and present, 1901.
The bridge was built sometime in the late 19th-century by The Stockton Forge Makers of Stockton-on-Tees who produced castings and forgings for use throughout Britain, and Europe. It was acquired by Head, Wrightson and Co. in 1897.