Or perhaps better known as Newton Moor. The boundary stone is inscribed “T.K.S. 1815” and was erected by Thomas Kitchingham Staveley, the Lord of the Manor of Newton under Roseberry when the moor was enclosed. Interestingly towards the end of his life Staveley lived in Old Sleningford Hall, near Ripon, but named his eldest daughter Roseberry Mary. The stone also signifies the boundary between the parishes of Newton and Pinchinthorp.
The dry stone wall separates Newton Moor from Roseberry Common and has been recently made stock-proof by the addition of two strands of barbed wire. There have been problems with the Common sheep scaling the wall to mix with the Moor flock; and vice versa.