Wild fire on Cockshaw Hill

Just a reminder that there is a very high fire risk on the moors at the moment.

This morning, I came across the remains of a fire on Cockshaw Hill. I think it happened about three weeks ago and was caused by a disposable BBQ1“Disposable Barbecue Causes Fire near Great Ayton – Hambleton Today.” Hambleton Today, 28 June 2022, www.hambletontoday.co.uk/disposable-barbecue-causes-fire-near-great-ayton/.[Accessed 17 July 2022].

The lush-looking bracken below disguises the risk, but I think it was the tinder dry gorse that dominates the top of the crags that provided the ‘fuel’.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *