Remains of Calcining Kilns, Scugdale

Remains of calcining kilns
These kilns next to Scugdale Beck operated from 1857 until 1885 and reduced the iron ore from mines up the dale to make it easier for transporting to the ironworks in Stockton.

Boundary Stone, Newton Moor

Boundary Stone, Newton Moor Mick Garratt
Marking the boundary of the parishes of Newton and Pinchinthorp. Inscribed with the date 1815 when the moor was enclosed.

Bilsdale

Named after William the Conquerer who took one look at it and decided it wasn’t worth bothering with in his harrowing of the North.
Named after William the Conquerer who took one look at it and decided it wasn’t worth bothering with in his harrowing of the North.